The Pumpkin Crumble Recipe is Really Easy when you don’t have time to make Pumpkin Pie. I could have sworn I posted this before Thanksgiving. It he post was all ready to go, including pictures, then I posted something else and forgot. Well, here it is. Not in time for Thanksgiving, but at least in time for Hanukkah, Christmas and New Years.
. 1 Can Pumpkin Pie Filling (or your favorite Pumpkin Pie filling recipe (mine is below))
. 1 Box Cake Mix (Use Yellow, Orange, Lemon or Spice Cake Mix. All of them are good.)
. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1) Prepare Pumpkin Pie Filling mixture as directed on can.
2) Pour into 9 X 13 glass pan.
3). Crumble a generous half of the box of Cake Mix onto the top of the Pumpkin mixture.
4). Sprinkle with more Pumpkin Pie Spice (You can also top with grated orange or lemon rind. – optional)
5). Bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes, or until knife inserted into the mixture comes out clean.
(Here is the recipe for my absolute favorite Pumpkin Pie Filling. This is what I use when I am making this dessert. I often bump up the amount of Pumpkin Pie Spice for more zing. I also cut the sugar in half. And I usually mix all the filling ingredients together in the order listed without heating them if I am making the Pumpkin Crumble. It leaves more moisture for the cake mix to absorb.)
My Favorite Pumpkin Pie Filling (from my Mom)
. 1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin
. 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
. 1/2 Cup White Sugar
. 1 Tbsp Molasses
. 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
. 1/2 tsp Salt
. 2 Eggs plus 1 Egg Yolk, Beaten
. 1 Cup Milk
Pumpkin Pie Spice Equivalent (takes the place of the pumpkin pie spice above)
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (plus)
3/4 tsp Nutmeg (plus)
1/4 tsp Cloves (plus)
1/4 tsp Ginger (plus)
Mix generous portions of the above spices to make 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1) Heat liquids to scalding stage.
2) Add remaining ingredients, except for Eggs to the liquids.
3) Stir well.
4) Add small amount of hot filling mixture to the Eggs, stirring constantly.
5) Add Egg mixture gradually to rest of Pumpkin mixture, stirring constantly.
6) Pour Pumpkin pie mixture into crust. (Of course, there is no crust if you are making the Pumpkin Crumble instead of pie.)
7) Bake at 325 for 40 minutes, or until knife comes out clean when inserted 1 ” from border.
8) Chill to prevent further baking.
Enjoy a delicious and easy Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas desert, without having to make crust.