The Seasons Are A’ Changin’. I can’t believe that summer is almost over. It is Labor Day, after all. My tomatoes are producing beautifully in my garden. My dahlias are still blooming, but signs of Autumn are about. The summer has gone all too quickly.
My Crocosmia Lucifer, so beautiful a month ago, is showing signs of tired and browning foliage. The leaves on my humongous Burning Bush are showing flickers of red. One of the grasses in my back yard, whose foliage, turns bright red in fall is beginning to show signs of red streaks. And my Zebra Grass, which does not show it’s stripes until fall, is now showing some of it’s stripiness.
Down the block, foliage on some of my neighbors’ trees are beginning to turn red, as are some of the trees on the way to the freeway.
On the other hand, some of the plants in my yard seem a little confused as to the season. The foxglove blooming by my trash bin, has nice new blooms. Some of my strawberries are flowering again and even have small fruit. And my walking onion recently started to show improved foliage and is now blooming again. Will someone tell them it’s Fall.
Renovated Iris Bed and Bottle Border
Elsewhere in my garden, the tired irises in this bed have been dug up and are just awaiting me renovating their bed and making way for three shrubs that have waited till the heat of summer is done. I have dug up the beds, gotten rid of the weeds and started a bottle border.
I ran out of bottles, so that will be a work in progress. In the meantime, I plan to get some blocks to complete the bed. We are ordering some topsoil mixed with compost to fill the bed a little fuller. Then the irises go back in.
The stepping stones will get some weedblock fabric to go underneath. The weed grasses have driven me crazy.
How I Made The Bottle Border (at least the start of the bottle border)
. I marked off the line where I wanted to make the border
. Then I dug into the soil along that line to form the start of a trench.
. Next I soaked this with water and dug deeper into the soil along the trench line.
, I repeated this step several times until the resulting trench was deep enough to insert the bottles.
. Then I inserted empty wine bottles one by one, using the last bottle as a guide for the next and the bottles were touching or nearly touching.
. After all of the bottles were inserted, I leveled the bottles so that they all reached the same height (or almost)
. Then I backfilled the trench with the dirt that had been removed to stabilize the bottles.
. Then I resoaked the area so that any remaining air pockets would be filled up.
. When I have more bottles, I will finish the border and then move on to the next bed (on the other side of the stepping stones.)
I hope to have this finished soon, along with the rest of the bed and replanting my irises and new shrubs.
Happy Labor Day!